Transport for the North is the first Sub-national Transport Body in England, formed to transform the transport system across our region and drive economic growth and prosperity for our people and businesses.
Our Board brings together the North’s 20 Local Transport Authorities and 11 Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) to speak with “one voice” on the transport investment the North needs to level up and rebalance decades of underinvestment. We work with Network Rail, Highways England and HS2 Ltd, and draw our powers down from central Government, rather than up from local government.
Our Strategic Transport Plan, published in February 2019, sets out the long-term investment priorities for the North, establishing a shared vision where modern transport connections underpin greater opportunities and an excellent quality of life.
Since then, we have built on that evidence base and blueprint to establish the Northern Transport Charter, which sets out the roadmap towards long-term devolution based on the North’s priorities:
- Putting passengers at the heart of the railways in the North
- Leading Northern strategic scheme planning and delivery
- Managing a long-term Northern funding settlement
- Championing an inclusive and sustainable North
Everything we do is focused on adding strategic value on a pan-regional scale to help ensure that funding and strategy decisions about transport in the North are informed by local knowledge and requirements.
We are at an exciting and critical stage in our journey, making now a great time to lead Team TfN.
The year ahead will see us take forward our work on the Northern Transport Charter, focused on three key elements:
- Defined activities including developing and testing innovative approaches to support TfN, our partners and Government to make decisions differently.
- Demonstrate capability by developing delivery plans, prioritisation and building confidence.
- Telling the story of why the Northern Transport Charter is important.
We’ll also be developing plans for Northern Powerhouse Rail, a transformational rail network for the North, and confirming our ambitious Decarbonisation and Freight & Logistics strategies.
Not only will a career at Transport for the North provide you with professional challenges, it will also give you the opportunity to be part of an organisation that is shaping the future.
If you have the experience, passion and commitment to drive our shared vision of a vibrant and growing economic region we look forward to hearing from you.
Chief Executive of Transport for the North